Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, September 7, 2009

Twin Atlantic - I Like, Even If You'll Call It Emo

Okay...so I really have a thing for a Scots or Irish accent. Especially if same accent can be heard while the owner of said accent is singing. So, it's no big stretch that I'm a fan of bands like Frightened Rabbit and We Were Promised Jetpacks. So, it's no surprise that I fell for the heavily accented, heavily emotional delivery of Sam McTrusty (sounds like he should be a cartoon character) as the frontman of Twin Atlantic.



There's plenty of the jangling, jarring guitar that often caused me to 4 or 5 star bands in SoM past, plus there's that something extra that always causes me to lean in for that closer listen. It's not just the emotional delivery, though that's always a key for me. Sure, it's going to get a few indie purists out there hollering at me about my emo leanings. Get over it! Nothing wrong with a little emo-appreciation. The genre isn't completely without merit, and if we're giving out emo merit badges, these kids deserve them.

"Light Speed" starts out with an infectious beat and groove, then slapped me across the face with the heavily accented, heavily emotional vocal delivery which is my weakness. Pretty with a gruff edginess, McTrusty's delivery is every young girl's emo-dream, wishing the young hottie singer was delivering each lyric right at her. Even this jaded and experienced girl isn't immune to that kind of angsty romance.

Listen to: Light Speed

"What Is Light, Where Is Laughter" is a little slower, less driven, less angsty, but it's still got plenty of drama and intrigue. It's got the special Brit Isles guitar sound that first rocked my world when Big Country released their self-titled album way back in the early 80's. You know what I'm talking about? That vaguely bagpipe-esque sound? It's here. The vocals are a little less raw, but just as pretty, and still accent heavy.

Listen to: What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?

Vivarium is on pretty heavy rotation in my playlists right now. I'll hope some of you will look past the emo leanings and give these kids a chance. I think you'll be surprised and find yourself liking the heavy accents as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home