Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Sunday For Sad Songs

Today, I'm feeling tired and sad. Some people would eschew music as unnecessary entertainment when feeling blue, but I find I seek it out when I'm feeling like this...hoping for solace, perhaps a boost. Sometimes you just want to find that perfect song that allows you to wallow in said sadness, sift through it and figure out if any good can come from it.

I'm in need of that kind of music this morning and right now a couple songs seems to be working for me.

Frightened Rabbit - Fast Blood

Frightened Rabbit
Photo Courtesty: Last.fm

This track's got it all, an overall melancholy feel with guitars that seem to moan and whimper at the same time. The vocals are raw and emotional, allowing me to quietly contemplate or let a few tears slide from the corner of my eyes. The lyrics are sweeping and simple at the same time, letting you interpret them how you so choose.

"This is the longest kiss good night
Good night
And then I fall down
I stumble
and she said, she said, she said good night"

I'm choosing to interpret that long last kiss as sad and hopeful at the same time. and that's what the best sad songs do...allow you the means to feel the sadness, but look for the underlying hope, the possibility the sadness will lessen.

White Lies - Death

White Lies
Photo Courtesy: Last.fm

You can interpret this song as simply a song about someone who's scared to death of the thought of death...but that's not how it works for me. Nope. It's more about dealing with the fear, embracing it and the sadness and even anger it might bring with it, and choosing how you're going to deal with it.

The lyrics themselves are the sadness, the driving beat and rising crescendo of the song are the hope that comes when sadness is really looked at and understood.

If anyone else is having a sad Sunday, I can hope these help. I feel a little bit better for having blogged them, for the repeat listens as I blogged. The sadness, very much still there, is tempered with some hope, lots of determination and a sense that giving up isn't the right option right now.

Music made this happen for me. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday or wallow in a little sadness with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home