Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Song of the Day: Hungry Villagers' "Tree Full of Ghosts"

There's a song that keeps popping up when I'm listening to MP3s, and I can't seem to escape it. "Tree Full of Ghosts," by the Texas band, Hungry Villagers, is the song that I speak of, and it's a pretty nice song. I've been listening to this song for a couple of months now, and I've liked it from the first moment that I heard it, but after listening to it multiple times every day this week, I've decided that I love it.

"Tree Full of Ghosts" is a dark, melodic song that starts out with a bit of a folk-rock sound and then eventually builds into a bouncy, almost-gospel track with 4/4 drums. I'm not quite sure what the lyrics are about, something about a "heart full of soma" and an "occupation" that "files slowly past your door," but I get the idea that it deals with an inability to let things go and letting problems constantly live around you as a reminder of what may have happened in the past ("carving out your name/ in your hard wood/ of your tree full of ghosts"). Perhaps I'm totally off and that's just what I want it to be about because that's the type of thing that I deal with on a regular basis. Either way, it's an interesting listen, and the sound of the singer's voice really adds that melancholy vibe to it. The overall sound of the song is reminiscent of bands like The National and Interpol, just a little folksier.


Photo Courtesy: Last.fm

I don't know a lot about Hungry Villagers, but I'm interested in finding out more. They are a promising band with an already strong sound. I've read that they have relocated to Georgia to work on their full-length album, so maybe I'll be able to check out their live show. In addition to "Tree Full of Ghosts," check out "Little Fingers."

- Jake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home